• Register
  • Login:

Welcome to the Oceanic Angler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Halibut in San Diego Bay

A co-worker mentioned that Halibut are hitting in San Diego Bay, anyone have any luck or tips. I catch spotties on a regular basis, but no love from the Halibut. Lizard fish seem to be everywhere too. Anyways shoot me some tips, thanks.

Oceanic Angler Moderator
    If your fishing bass, your fishing hali's too lol. I get alot of halibut bi-catch when bass fishing. If your fishing from shore, I would recommend 3" 4" or 5" swimbaits on either 1/4 3/8 1/2 or even 3/4 lead heads. Try and bring the lure in just above the bottom, occasionally bouncing it off the bottom or jerking it and stopping. Jerkshads work well too. In northern Cali we would toss light irons in the surf and catch legals in just a few feet of water, but no luck in southern cali with that technique yet.

I got a 33" hali a couple days ago in a few feet of water. - http://www.oceanicangler.com/showthr...ottie-amp-Mako

Eventually you will run into one if your fishing in San Diego Bay. Their are some Big un's in that Bay. If you catch one of those small Lizard fish, use it under a sliding egg sinker rig and toss that thing out there. Big Halibut love eating live bait too. Good Luck

Live bait is your best chance I think. Buy a hoop net and catch your own live bait. In the mix of bait, you might catch some small croakers. Halibut love those things. I think its there natural prey. If you dont have access to live bait. Swimbaits is another good choice. They cover more ground and look realistic enough.

Blog Entries
    I like drifting dines on a trap rig

i was hali fishing on harbor dr...and caught bass. as long as i catch something other than kelp or a rock, it's a good day of fishing

i go fishing everyday on the naval base coronado for lunch and throw plastics mostly pearl white jerkbaits or some shade of white i have alot of luck with trigger there expensive but catch them caught a 24in on tues day and alot of small ones through the week

Lucky to have that opportunity to fish during lunch break. That base has some nice untapped fishing holes. The end of the road with all those rocky areas are game fish magnets.
    I may not have been the greatest president, but I've had the most fun eight years.

I used to work at NVSD (32nd) and used to fish the channels during my break also. I miss doing that since I no longer work there and my pass is no longer valid.

Anyone know of any other spots? P.s. Try using lures that can swim along the bottom. Halibut are flat fish so it would only make sense.